Refractive surgery is a group of eye surgeries which remove any type of refractive errors like Myopia, Hypermetropia, Astigmatism removes or reduces the dependency on spectacles or contact lenses.
Here at Yash eye, we perform the following types of Refractive surgeries:
Lasik is by far the most common type of refractive surgery performed worldwide and so also in Yash. LASIK stands for laser in-situ keratomileusis.
Lasik is done with Excimer Laser which is one of the greatest inventions in ophthalmology. The Excimer Laser physically corrects the glass prescription during surgery by reshaping the cornea. Thus myopia (minus power), Hypermetropia (plus power) or Astigmatism (cylindrical power) are corrected using this technology.
Lasik/PRK is a 2 step procedure
Step 1 Flap Making
This is usually done with the help of:
- Mechanical microkeratome – Is a highly sophisticated motorized device which splits the Corneal stromal layer which is then lifted for laser application
- Femtosecond Laser – It is also called Bladeless Lasik uses laser for splitting the corneal layer.
Step 2 Excimer laser application
The Alcon Wavelight EX500 Excimer Laser applies 500 individual laser pulses per second ensuring the fastest treatment for optimal results. It treats one dioptre in less than 2 seconds.
Laser application is of 2 types:
- Normal LASIK: Treats the refraction only.
- Contoura LASIK: Is a treatment pattern which incorporates the minor microscopic irregularities which are present in an individual’s cornea and treats them with utmost precision in order to yield pristine clear vision
- Normal PRK: In PRK, epithelium or the most superficial layer is removed and Excimer laser is applied to treat the refractive error. This is used to treat minor errors up to a maximum of 3-4 Dioptres.
- Stream light PRK: This is a single step procedure in which the epithelium is first removed followed by seamless laser application to treat the refraction.
Two types of phakic IOLs are there: ICL and IPCL
ICL stands for implantable collamer lens and IPCL stands for Implantable phakic contact lens. In this a lens is implanted inside the eye and works along with eye’s natural lens to provide high quality vision. This surgery is used to resolve refractive error and is suitable for persons who are otherwise not suitable for LASIK due to thin profile of cornea, high refractive error.
Refractive lens exchange or clear lens exchange surgery is a surgery in which the natural lens of the eye is removed and replaced with an artificial Intraocular Lens (IOL) to correct and focus your vision. This can be used to treat refractive errors.